How can I get my Air Conditioner to work efficiently?
- Have your unit cleaned and checked regularly by a professional.
- Check both indoor and outdoor units to make sure nothing’s blocking air inlet and outlet points
- Set the thermostat temperature between 25°C - 27°C and certainly no lower than 23°C. Each degree of extra heating in winter or cooling in summer will increase energy consumption by about 5 to 10 per cent
- Remove and clean air filters
- Clean the front grilles of the indoor unit (do this every 2 weeks during summer).
Thermostats should be set around 25°C - 27°C. Every 1°C lower can increase running costs by up to 15% or cost you for repairs because they do like a break every so often.
If there is a hot day forecast, then pre-cool your house the night before. This is especially effective if your house has a high thermal mass such as solid brick. This will allow your air conditioner to work at its optimum during the cool evening, saving power and wear and tear on the unit. It also allows the unit to keep on top of the heat load as it begins to warm up during the heat of the day.